Gainsborough Energy 2000x Shower leak advice please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Our shower decided to leak in the middle of last night, so I stopped the electric and water supply and removed the front plate.

It appears that the leak is coming from the solenoid valve.

Being recently made redundant I am looking for the cheapest way to repair.

Looking into it it appears this is the part needed
http://www.showerdoc.com/gainsborough-valve-solenoid-filter-inline-95605611

On that page it also states that you can purchase only the solenoid.
http://www.showerdoc.com/solenoid-coil-universal-no-valve-hydr-27600

So can anyone help and advise to which I should buy as the price is greatly different please or is the part wrong and I am needing something else?

I have attached an image of our shower.

Many thanks in advance! ;)

Sponsored Links
The existing valve is leaking from plastic tube inside the coil,. You will need a whole valve.

The other one is just a coil. No valve. It just sit over valve.

Daniel.

Thank you.

So can I just get the valve on it's own (without the solenoid then)?

Is it easy to replace? Any hints n tips please?

You be better off getting the whole valve including the solenoid.

Turn water off, and electric for shower off at the consumer board.
Undo brass nut and prise brass elbow away, unscrew valve securing screw, remove it downward from flow control unit.
Fit new one, reuse old nut and new olive. Test on completed. :)

Make sure to keep wires in correct order and on solenoid terminal.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again!

Can I ask why buy a complete whole valve including the solenoid and not just the plastic vlave if that is where the leak is?

Could save me a fair bit.

Thanks,

That is part E as shown on photo of parts, it is a small filter that fit inside inlet of valve body.

What you need is part R as shown on same photo, completed valve body with solenoid.

Daniel.

Okay, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what does the solenoid actually do in this instance please?

Also, will the solenoid effect the temperature of the water. The reason I ask is that it's just come to me that the temperature of the water over the past few weeks have been hotter than normal. I simply put it down to the ambient temperature getting warmer.

Just wondering if this is the reason the leak has come about, because the solenoid has been working inefficiently and therefore stressed out the plastic valve and causing it to finally break and leak?

Got the part, installed and all is okay.

So many thanks for your advice Stardanny.

But now I have a new problem. :cry:

I will start a new topic about it.

Hi
I had exactly same problem ie leak from solenoid valve on Energy 2000x. Droplets ran down hanging from both junction leads to solenoid, Gainsborough say unit meets stringent safety srandards but these wires come direct from mains. Isnt that very dangerous? Or can I rely on RCB?
Rupert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back