Gainsborough GS400 mixer shower temp adjustment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just installed a Gainsborough GS400 thermostatic mixer shower but the temp is not hot enough. It is supplied from a power shower pump so both pressures for hot/cold are the same. have even tried reducing the cold flow by closing the isolator off a bit but still only warm water. Guess its just the factory set temp to stop scalding. Does anyone know how to adjust the factory set temp to give hotter water out. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to remove the temp control knob centre cap, remove the holding screw and remove and refit the knob one spline back or forward so it can turn to a higher setting?

don't know the gs 400 shower but gainsborough use the aqualisa thermo cartridge on the ambassador range and they are not adjustable.
have you connected hot and cold correctly to the shower valve.
your fault can be caused by incorrect connections

steve

The hot/cold connection are correct and last night I took the temp control knob off but no adjustment can be made, looks the end stop is internal. So will have to strip it down or send it back as not fit for purpose!!!

Sponsored Links
is the pump new or was it existing.
are inlet filters blocked on pump
are you turning shower on full and not turning it back to reduce flow
if its the aqualisa stat in this shower the cold comes on 1st the the hot 2nd
if you turn shower back this will reduce hot flow
are hoses on pump straight or bent (kinked)
have you checked flow from pump into bucket on both hot and cold, time both to check flow difference this will help to tell if its pump, supplies or valve.

is the pump new or was it existing.
Old Pump
are inlet filters blocked on pump
No
are you turning shower on full and not turning it back to reduce flow
Fully on
if its the aqualisa stat in this shower the cold comes on 1st the the hot 2nd
if you turn shower back this will reduce hot flow
are hoses on pump straight or bent (kinked)
Straight
have you checked flow from pump into bucket on both hot and cold, time both to check flow difference this will help to tell if its pump, supplies or valve.
Flow ok, have even reduced the cold flow but still not hot enough when mixed

Using all existing plumbing from pump which worked fine with the old manual mixer valve that have now replaced with the GS400. Hot supply is HOT so no problems there. Convinced it is the mixer at fault (or just set low from factory)

if you remove control are there 4 screws holding temp lever, if so remove screws is there a grey ring on thermostat if there is a grey ring your shower has the aqualisa stat.
turn off water remove 4 outer screws pull out stat there is a filter at end of stat (hot water) and side one(cold water) are these blocked.
leave out stat turn on hot water with pump off the rear port is hot and check flow same for cold
refit stat if still no good stat is faulty call to gainsborough

This is the mixer
http://www.gainsboroughshowers.co.uk/upload/Product Images/GS400 BODY EXPOSED LR.jpg
Not had much chance to investigate as am at work at the moment, so only managed to quickly flip off the centre cap and remove temp adjustment knob. there is a centre shaft for the temp with a circlip holding on a serated brass nut like item with another large circlip behind, i assume retaining the flow adjustment mechanism

just fitted this mixer shower the hot feed pipe is red hot but only luke warm comes out when fully turned to hot.after altering the thermostat inside with a precision screwdriver still no success.
I rang gainsborough up they said control unit is faulty and sent me a new unit but cannot remove the old unit anyone had this trouble???? :?: :?:

I bought one of these over a year ago from B & Q. It soon failed and Gainsborough replaced it under guarantee. This then failed and I had to pay £80 for a replacement because Gainsborough said that the original was now out of guarantee!! My third controller is now failing and I have written to B & Q to ask if they have had similar complaints from their customers.

I have the same problem as two of the other posters. In my case, the water flowed hot enough to start but deteriorated over time. I've taken the unit off and checked the flow of both hot and cold straight out of the pipes. Seems fine though not perfectly balanced, suggesting the problem is with the unit i think (can't open it to see if it's the cartridge, blocked pipes... etc)

I am now on my second Gainsbourough GS400 unit. First one went after 4 months, I couldn't return it as it had been sat in the garage for a couple of years, and the second (i.e. replacement) went after 1 month so I will try and send that back for a refund as these units seem to be not fit for the purpose.

Think I will replace with a manual (non-thermostatic mixer) - both feeds from the pump are dedicated so shouldn't need to worry about flushing toilets changing the temp etc which at least means the other half gets her blistering shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back