Varying HW Temp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
By varying the water temp control on the shower mixer I can vary the temp of the hot water from other taps around the house. This is a pain as I have to go upstairs to vary the temp control (to max heat) every time I want very hot water downstairs instead of warm. The cold water supply is direct from the mains and the hot water through a combi boiler directly fed from the mains. There are no water tanks anywhere. The shower is just a basic mixer with a flow control and temp control. As far as I can tell its not thermostatically controlled, you just turn the knob to vary the temp and if someone starts using a cold tap the temp varies accordingly. This occurs even with the shower mixer turned off. The only way to prevent this is to turn off the cold supply to the mixer using a shut off valve. Any one any ideas how I can resolve this please.
Many thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Thats odd (although maybe the experienced will say they've seen it before) - sounds to me like the mixer valve is allowing cold water into the hot water supply, maybe the mains pressure is too high for it to cope with or its just faulty? I guess you could prove this by running the shower until the hot pipe to it is hot and the cold pipe is nice and cold, switch off the shower and go turn on one of your hot taps - if the hot water pipe at the shower starts to go cold then the mixer is letting cold water through to the hot water side and is faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back