Gainsborough shower packed in - looking for replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Gainsborough Energy 2000 9.5kW that's been in the house since we moved in has packed in and now won't deliver hot unless you crank it round almost to the maximum, and then it's only a dribble of warm water. So I've decided to chuck it.

As we're planning a major refurb in a couple of years I don't want to spend a lot so I'm looking on ebay for something that can be wired and plumbed into the same supplies as the Gainsborough.

One thing I would like to know is: what difference would I notice if, say, I bought a 7.5kW rather than a 9.5? Is it in the response time?

Oh, and are there any makes I should avoid like the plague?
Currently looking at another Gainsborough, Redring, Creda, Mira and Triton.

Sponsored Links
What about mending the old one first? Sounds like it may be an element to replace.

I looked at prices for parts, and they seem more expensive than buying a 2nd hand shower!

How much would an element cost? Site I looked at was suggesting £60+!

Gainsborough are pretty poor really. I recommend either a Mira or a Triton.

We have a Gainsborough and it is forever breaking down. I am infact having a shower coming off the combi when the CH is installed and junk the electric shower.

Sponsored Links
We're getting a combi installed in a couple of months, which is one reason I don't want to spend much. Next year I want a walk-in shower with overhead spray and hot/cold controls off the combi.

So what practical difference does the power rating make?

We're getting a combi installed in a couple of months, which is one reason I don't want to spend much. Next year I want a walk-in shower with overhead spray and hot/cold controls off the combi

Good luck. In my experience showers and combi boilers do not go together well. You are in the shower warm and cosy and covered in soapy suds when someone turns on a hot tap elsewhere in the house. The combi's maximum flow rate is now exceeded and the hot flow to the shower is reduced without any warning to you.

Ah. b*****r. That was one thing I hoped would disappear when we get the combi!

If you want it to disappear then you need to have a sufficent quanity of stored hot water to handle expected demand. Heating it on the fly requires a lot of power and even the most powerful electric showers struggle to deliver a decent flow, however they do only have to supply themselves, variations in amount of water comming out are due to the limiations of your cold water mains, and accomonying change in temperature due to non thermostatic models not being able to compensate for this... thermostatic models are available but more expensive.

Combi boilers are more powerful than electric shower units, but not sure what flow rate a standard domestic one can deleiver, and you are still restricted to what the water main can deliver

Whereas with a hot water cylinder, you can pump it out at whatever flow rate you need, with the correct draw off flange it is relativly unaffected by other demands for water. Only problem is if theres no hot water in it when you actually want a shower :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back