Galaxy 18 reset, telecoms failure and standby power queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,
First time post so apologies if I repeat something shown elsewhere. I have a Galaxy 18 fitted at home by the builders when the house was built 12 years ago. I don't use it much but it always worked perfectly ok. Had the stand by battery replaced about 5 years ago by an adt chap cash in hand who came to do the system where I work. Recently got the quick flash on the panel light so assumed I needed to replace the battery again but did it myself this time sourcing the same battery from Amazon.

All worked fine and the panel light constant and system functioning ok so no problems. Three weeks later we had either a very short power cut or a surge which tripped the consumer unit and fused the toaster and appeared to factory reset the Galaxy system. Since then I've had ongoing problems with a telecoms failure and a line fault and after pulling the engineers manual off the net have sorted both these problems but have had two further power cuts recently and the alarm has just instantly sounded and performed a hard reset as though the stand by battery somehow isn't working. I can't see anything in the manual suggesting that I need to 'switch on' the stand by battery or that the default is not to use the backup supply, but each time we have the power cuts it resets all the defaults and the system then thinks the phone lines have been cut so after about 30 minutes the alarm activates, even if it isn't set. I'm not getting any warning lights on the panel, so assume mains supply to be good, backup battery to be good and no internal fuse problems but it's still not happy.

I can reset the telecoms failure again but the next power cut will hard set the system and restore defaults and the alarm will sound for the duration of the power cut. Would welcome any thoughts anyone might have on this and for ref, I have no electrical training, and haven't seen any adt chaps working on my work system to ask.

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
Two problems. It sounds like the deep discharge on the new 12V battery has either caused it to fail or has blown a fuse/component on the power PCB. The second issue is that the board is so old, the rechargable battery mounted on the main PCB has failed, so the panel is losing its backup power to the SRAM chip. Since the panel is so old, I would probably swap out for a G2-20, but you could probably source parts from Ebay to fix it.

Dear GalaxyGuy,
Many thanks for your reply, all sounds a little out of my depth! I'm not getting any fuse warning lights on my keypad so assume the power PCB to have failed - is that correct? And is your suggestion that the new battery has been ruined because the main PCB has failed?

Googling a G2-20 would suggest this is a completely new alarm system. If I considered this option (which I'm not against) could I use all the existing wiring, sensors and bells and just either fit or have fitted the new main box and keypad or would I need to replace all the sensors and bells as well? If the latter, would the existing wiring still be usable?

Plus, with the alarm sounding whenever I have a power cut, would this be solved by putting the system into engineer's mode? Is there anything I can do to stop it sounding during power cuts while I decide what to do?

Thanks again

Rob

All existing parts are compatible. You need to supply 12v to the external sounder to stop it sounding. The easiest way is to connect the panel battery leads to the sounder 12v and 0v connections with a terminal block, then connect them to the battery while swapping all the other connections over with the power off.

Sponsored Links
Dear GalaxyGuy,
Many thanks - will give that a go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back