Galaxy Alarm advice please

As a side note, the reasons I upgraded my system to a G2 was that it was about 14 years old, I had no higher level codes, a G2 is about £30, I could use all the existing parts except the actual panel, and with a G2 I can have full control of the panel over internet/phone app (by buying a £50 ethernet module. A few on here use the service for £1/month, Google selfmon for more info if it interests you). Also mine didn't have an external sounder/strobe, only an internal one. Lots of ADT ones are the same, they're designed to contact the ARC (alarm receiving centre) instead of making noise outside. Handy once you decide not to pay ADT £30/month (for virtually the same service Selfmon gives for the aforementioned quid) that the burglar can take his time in your house as long as he has ear muffs with him.

The install date on this system is 2000 so approaching 18 years old. We didn't choose to ADT monitoring purely because it's £30 a month to monitor a family house (with two big dogs) that is occupied 22 hours out of 24. For a £1/month I'd probably have done it. The person that was here before us was a widow so I can understand her wanting full monitoring, police and fire, totally different needs from us.

Over the course of the next few decades there is a huge chance of false alarms with dogs and as my children hit the age where they get their own door key.

Sponsored Links
Not wanting to start something here, but one of the most important things to check on a service visit (amongst other things) would be the control panel backup battery and charging circuit (ie, inside the metal box), something that should have been done when the new company took over the system. I'd argue that the remote reset should have also been disabled at this time, bit of an oversight by the engineer to not check this IMO.

Also, your system may not have a working external bell. Most of the old ADT "dealership" style installations had an internal sounder only. You may want to check this as the outside box may simply be an empty decoy.

I agree the remote reset should have been disabled and I will challenge them about that tomorrow.

I'm 99% sure he didn't open the metal box. You've all got me wondering if my memory is failing me now.

As for the external bell, yes it's a decoy. The sounder is inside and deafens us all when it goes off.

Its just a case of reseting and remove the engineer/ remote reset function.

Ignore panel change and upgrade suggestions

Just speak with the company that just serviced it. its their fault as the setting should have been switched off when they serviced/ took over your system

Sponsored Links
...............................................(with two big dogs) ................
What do 'two big dogs' have to do with anything?

I supose you have never seen guard dogs that have been killed by intruders, I have, 3 times and have knowledge of others.

Dogs are only good to act as a warning to the property owner if he/she is in, that a stranger is about.

A hammer or similar is all that is needed and no fear of dogs.

Google search 'SelfMon' - see what you think.

It has been around a while, the owner of this service is a member of this Forum, can't remember his name I'm afraid.

A good bit of news is that your G2 is one of the panels that will use the SelfMon service.

I have no relationship what so ever with SelfMon.

Other than here!

Europlex

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the 8+ is different to the Classic 8. The '+' series never supported Ethernet in any form, so will not support IP reporting unless with a dialer to IP based solution. I've contacted the OP.

Yes...the engineer said I’d need a dialer at the service visit, in order for the system to do certain things (I was asking if the Galaxy could SMS us alerts)...

Dogs are just a warning, further deterrent; we have had dogs long before a house with any alarm. Well they are family pets in fact.

However, if I was a junkie looking to rob a house I’d probably move on to the house next door, where there no dogs.

I think they would discourage opportunists, as does CCTV. But in a targeted situation an intruder is going to have scoped out the property and likely come prepared for dogs, CCTV and the alarm. Someone after car keys is the most likely; we have no cash at home and the TV is 9 years old - good luck carrying a 40kg Plasma off down the road..!

For me, it’s about ensuring my house isn’t the easiest target on the street for an opportunist.

Anyway to update the thread I spoke to “Local Alarm Company” today and they talked me through the reset over the phone, all sorted out now.

Good forum here with lots of helpful folk; while I only registered Sunday to ask this question I have read the forum posts before on other topics.

Thanks very much :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back