Galaxy G2-20 : RF Jam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Galaxy G2-20 wireless system. You were all so helpful with the installation of new sensors 3 months ago, thank you. I have another question...

Last night, something odd happened to my alarm. Came to set it in the morning, said fault. I typed in my code to look at the fault, and it said 'RF Jam Recv. 5'. That cleared the fault and I set the alarm. I think module 5 must be some number associated with the RF I/O box, as I only have 4 PIR sensors.

Middle of today now the fault has come on again, and it wouldn't clear with my user code. I went into engineer mode (I have the code), to see if that would clear the code. It doesn't.
No, wait, I stand corrected, it has now let me leave engineer mode and set. The log says the jam condition had just cleared half an hour later.
At some time the log says +JAM RFMOD5. Then about 30 mins later it said -JAM RFMOD5. Which I take to mean cleared.

I can confirm there is no suspicious 'RF jamming van' parked outside my house. A walk test shows the sensors are being picked up fine.

What does this mean? How can I stop it happening? No I haven't installed WiFi or changed anything like that.

From reading the installer manual, I see there is an option to not have RF jam condition prevent setting. Also am option to change the length of time the interference is present before the condition is triggered. I might ask you guys about how to set that if this keeps up, but I'd rather know what might be the cause.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
What does this mean? How can I stop it happening? No I haven't installed WiFi or changed anything like that.
The most likely explanation is that someone near by has installed equipment that is using the same radio channel as your system is using. As your equipment is using a radio channel that is "licenced" under SRD exemption ( Short Range Device ) there is not much you can do. Only if the other equipment is radiating at a higher ERP ( effective radiated power ) than the SRD exemption permits can you ask for OfCom to consider taking action.

It is not strictly speaking jamming unless it is intended specifically to stop your system working. More accurately it is blocking and a technical requirement for equipment using the SRD exemption is that a system's receiving equipment and/or signal processing must be designed to take account of legal transmissions from other users on the same channel.

From reading the installer manual, I see there is an option to not have RF jam condition prevent setting.
It is not jam prevention. that is impossible. It is only a warning that jamming or blocking is occuring. Turn it off and prolonged blocking or intentional jamming will go un-noticed and you alarm system may be rendered in-operative while the jamming / blocking is present and you will not be aware of it being in-operative.

Also am option to change the length of time the interference is present before the condition is triggered. I might ask you guys about how to set that if this keeps up, but I'd rather know what might be the cause.
The SRD exemption does require limits on how long a SRD transmitter can transmit before it shuts down. Look at the OfCom website and search for information on Short Range Devices

The bad news is that it will get worse as more and more SRD devices are sold to the public without mention of the problems that blocking can create.

Try down powering the RF-RIO and adjusting its address to 4.
Then repower.
This may assist.
The other option is to take the "supervision" times higher. But not really the better idea.
Can you relocate the rio on the data line maybe?
You can Radial it rather than daisy chain.
Get it moved on a temp lead and see if that helps.

Hi in the last few days honeywell released news that a certain batch of portals had corrupt software installed, that were throwing up false rf jam alerts, we are advised to return portals to our supplier , I am in the process of doing so ! I will let you know the outcome regards rich.

Sponsored Links
Yeah quite ! That's the story there tech guys are telling people earlier today typical honey well thou I suppose ??

Probably keeping it hush hush like they did with the Galaxy 16 issue that happened a few years ago ! :whistle:

Hi, I have the same alert i.e. RF Jam from a C079 Portal (purchased in August 2015). Your post states that HWell released news of a batch of faulty portals that send this alert. can you tell me where you saw this please? I may need it to get an exchange as the supplier wants me to buy another one and if they prove there is a fault, they will then refund me - yeah right. Appreciate any help with this one. Thanks.

surely no alarm company hides issues they may have.

no alarm company says your the only one with an issue

some times I do wonder about integrity, I prefer honesty and a quick resolution no matter what the product is.

Look at the car problems that have been dealt with in the last few years, fridges and other devices its a never ending story.

Hi, I have the same alert i.e. RF Jam from a C079 Portal (purchased in August 2015). Your post states that HWell released news of a batch of faulty portals that send this alert. can you tell me where you saw this please? I may need it to get an exchange as the supplier wants me to buy another one and if they prove there is a fault, they will then refund me - yeah right. Appreciate any help with this one. Thanks.

Can you confirm if your current RF portal has the 'off PCB' aerial ? The latest portal has its aerial as a PCB trace.

Hello GalaxyGuy, The Rf Portal I have is a new one, the retailer exchanged it after he called HW, who told him the model I had, was to be recalled. However, the new one has the same fault. It has an on PCB aerial i.e. there is no external aerial to the board (I do have an older portal with such an aerial but that does not pick up my door contacts, which transmit on alpha protocol). I did try the older RF Portal and no longer received the RF Jam alert. I tried turning off my wireless equipment one by one until they were all off but still received the RF Jam Alert with the new portal. Appreciate any help advice you can give. Thanks!

PS. I have also disabled the RF Check but still get the RF jam alert. Thanks again for any help.

Okay, just to confirm what you're running with:

You have a G2 panel (V1.56 ?) which gets frequent JAM alerts since August 2015 on the REV-F portal with portal firmware 2.11 ?

Your previous portal was a C077 version which was only compatible with older protocol devices ?

How often are the JAM conditions occurring ?

You say that you disabled the RF Check. It is my understanding that this only disables the two way check and does not disable JAM reporting.

Also, can you tell me what the RF diagnostics are showing in menu 60 for RF portal when you press the hash key ? You should get some information about current noise level and max history of noise level.

Hi GalaxyGuy, sorry for the delay in responding - other more pressing issues.

1.56 firmware, frequency of alerts, roughly every 8 to 15 minutes.I'll check the noise level again in menu option 60.

I have also put the RF receiver on a long lead and placed it around the house but still get the RF Jam Alert.

Thanks again for any help and advice you can give.

Hi again, regarding noise level, 0 and max was 2. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back