Galaxy G2 Serial header

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone familiar with the Galaxy alarms happen to know the pinout of the serial header on the PCB? I understand it's RS-485 but does anyone know the pinout? Additionally, as a long shot, does anyone happen to know the specs of the data protocol that runs over the RS-485 bus?

Sponsored Links
They said "search on Google for that DIYnot.com forum, someone on there's bound to know".

Rather amusing reply :D

Good old Galaxy tech, no speak to non trade.

So as a registered Honeywell Installer all I can say is ask them again.
I want to keep my relationship with them.

May I enquire why you would this?
As for the bus line, you making a new peripheral?

Sponsored Links
Does anyone familiar with the Galaxy alarms happen to know the pinout of the serial header on the PCB? I understand it's RS-485 but does anyone know the pinout? Additionally, as a long shot, does anyone happen to know the specs of the data protocol that runs over the RS-485 bus?

The interface is not RS485 at the header connector on the G2. The RS485 bus is at the screw terminals. If you buy a programming lead, then you can connect to the header and communicate with RSS software. The protocol itself is closed and not generally available to anyone unless under NDA and Honeywell see a revenue opportunity for themselves. Be careful if trying to connect anything else to the header, as you can easily damage the CPU.

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to get my home computer system to talk to the alarm system. I already have an Asterisk PBX setup to act as an ARC. I've downloaded the spec for ContactID and been able to program the PBX to kisson and receive the ContactID codes, using a PERL script to process them. It would be nice to do things the other way and allow the computer to talk to the alarm. I see four ways to achieve this: use the serial header to connect to a PC, dial in via the modem, use the ethernet interface or connect to the RS-485 bus and pretend to be a keypad. The first three options are a little tricky as they require one to know the data protocol. That is true of the fourth option but one can sniff the bus to work that out. As one does not have a copy of RSS, one could not easily sniff the former three. I have been successful at dialing into the alarm and getting it to pick up but I did not receive any data and did not know what to send. I don't currently have an ethernet controller and I'm not sure I want to fork out for one as I have no idea what to send to one. Finally there is the header and that is a little tricky as I have no idea what protocol it speaks. I've heard rumors it's RS-485, until the denial by an earlier poster. I note that Honeywell sell a PC Link cable (is it the A101 or something?) and it's £30. I'm a bit loathed to spend £30 if it turns out it's just a £5 RS-485 <> RS-232 converter, or worse, a 10-pin header <> DB9 adapter. So if anyone has any pointers that could help me on my quest or indeed a hint as to how one might get to see RSS, any help would be appreciated.

You need RSS and it is not free.
£200 ish is the RRP IIRC.
Of course being registered gives you a massive discount........... :mrgreen:

Ethernet will allow comms, but again RSS is needed.
See the circle yet?

I'm trying to get my home computer system to talk to the alarm system. I already have an Asterisk PBX setup to act as an ARC.
I've just got to ask. Why?

Is it because you like to play, or is there a serious reason that I'm just not getting?

I'm trying to get my home computer system to talk to the alarm system. I already have an Asterisk PBX setup to act as an ARC.
I've just got to ask. Why?

Is it because you like to play, or is there a serious reason that I'm just not getting?

I guess that the only practical application is being able to receive notifications when the alarm activates. I can also get Nagios alerts when faults, etc occur, although of course this becomes readily apparent, really quickly, so yes, it's more "because I can" :)

You need RSS and it is not free.
£200 ish is the RRP IIRC.
Of course being registered gives you a massive discount........... :mrgreen:

Ethernet will allow comms, but again RSS is needed.
See the circle yet?

Hi Alarm, I've had a look at this. I'm not sure if I can see a pattern emerging yet. Two samples isn't really representative, perhaps you could give a couple more examples?

I see that RSS would be valuable in communicating with the device, in so much as one could sniff the bus while using it and reverse engineer the data protocol, allowing one to write one's own implementation. Although, as previously stated, one could use the keypad and RS-485 bus to achieve a similar result.

It would be useful if anyone knows what the link cable actually does. Is it simply a physical interface adapter or does it actually do any signaling translation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back