Galvanised door hinges

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm tidying up the doors upstairs. The usual layers upon layers of oil paint including on the strike, hinges etc. Doors were fitted by bodgers, the rebates are a proper mess. They even fitted the carcass with clout nails and didn't knock them under.

Having cleaned up the hinges they appear to be galvanised - see the picture.

Have you seen these before? Would you gloss back over them, or something else? I always think that painted over hinges are a sign of crap DIY but am not sure what to do.

Thanks

DSC_0044.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have no problem with painted hinges in older houses, if they are all painted.

If you do decide to paint them, a special metal primer should be applied first - though I doubt you will feel like buying some just for that.

I appreciate the thoughts everyone.

I would buy some new hinges! :)

There are already multiple hinge holes in the door and modern hinges are smaller so I'd end up having to plug holes, cut Dutchmen etc. Would probably end up being quicker to replace the door. I'm trying to avoid that if possible.

I have no problem with painted hinges in older houses, if they are all painted.

Ok great. So it's generally considered ok and not bad practice? Would you also paint over the screws, the latch, the strike to match? Especially with the strike you end up with a strip taken off where the latch scrapes against it.

A special metal primer should be applied first
I was going to try test patches with my favourite primer (Leyland trade acrylic) and also with some stainblock. It's internal so I'm hoping one of them will stick well enough.[/QUOTE]

Sponsored Links
I would say it was very common to paint hinges until some point in the 80s when everyone was having brass (later chrome-looking) hinges in their new houses and renovations.

Ok great. So it's generally considered ok and not bad practice? Would you also paint over the screws, the latch, the strike to match? Especially with the strike you end up with a strip taken off where the latch scrapes against it.

If they are good quality, nice looking polished hinges, then leave them on show, but if they are plain steel or galv, paint them to match the door colour.

Painting hinges is a bodge. In time, after numerous coats of paint, the paint fouls the hinge and you can see where the paint is being scraped back as the door opens and closes.

If you can clean them, my advice would be to leave them as they are.

If you want to sand the knuckles only, you won't need to worry about using proper primers such as zinc plumbate. The hinges are unlikely to get bashed in normal usage. Waterbased primers may cause the metal to rust (slightly) if the galvanised finish is damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back