Gang / Way - Please explain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a new light switch which is a single unit with two dimmer knobs on it.

I understand the principals and theory of electrics, but I'd feel more confident if someone could explain exatly what 'gang' and way means and how differring combinations will affect functionality.

For example, what is the difference beteen a 1 gang 2 way and a 2 gang 1 way etc, etc.

I just need to know what they're on about....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
One way allows you to switch the light only from one point (its a switch that just makes, or breaks the contact)
Two way allows you to add another(2 way) switch so that the light can be turned on and off from both places - the most common is the landing light switchable from upsatirs and downstairs. This switch is a changeover.

Have a look in the STICKY reference pages at the top of the forum. And look at the lighting diagrams. It will make it clearer.

Gang is the number of switches on the plate.

So a 2 gang 2 way switch has two switches each of which is a 2-way switch.

Geddit??

The number of gangs is the number of switches, ie. your dimmer with two knobs is a two gang dimmer

A way probably best described as a contact to which the moving bit of a switch can connect to, in a one way switch, theres just one, so its either made, or broken, a two way switch will have another one, so one contact is made while the other is broken a vice versa, you use two way switches when you have more than one switch working the same light(s), if you have just a single switch then it need only be one way (but nothing to stop you using two way and having a terminal spare)

Right, so if I want one plate on the wall with two dimmer knobs side by side to control lights at each end of a knock through kitchen diner with the switch in the middle of the room I need a 2 gang(two different lights), 1 way(only opperation) switch as there will be no other switches for those lights.

Sponsored Links
Oh, and whiles I'm on the subject, the last one I bought from Homebase for my lounge blew up (not literally, but went pop) after a couple of weeks....

Turns out it was only rated for 250W and was dimming 6x50W GU10's (300W) so my fault!

I saw one in Wickes today rated at 400W - I trust this will be okay?

I doubt you will find 2 gang 1 way swithc (they do exist but not that common)
you will however find 2 gang 2 way (you just wire them as 1 way) reason being 2 gang 2 way means it can be both, and more ofthen than not it is used for 2way.

oh and your dimmer, the anser is no, still too small

do as suggested and read the stiky for lots more info

oh you can also use the
icon_edit.gif
button to add to a post instead of making another one

I doubt you will find 2 gang 1 way swithc (they do exist but not that common)
you will however find 2 gang 2 way (you just wire them as 1 way) reason being 2 gang 2 way means it can be both, and more ofthen than not it is used for 2way.

oh and your dimmer, the anser is no, still too small

do as suggested and read the stiky for lots more info

oh you can also use the
icon_edit.gif
button to add to a post instead of making another one

Thanks....

Tried to find the sticky about power ratings for dimmers, but could only find 1 dimmer related sticky which didn't mention anything about power rating.

What power rating dimmer will I need to run 6x50W GU10s?

Thanks

Gu10 lamps are halogen lamps, and unless the maker of the dimmer states that the headline figure applies to halogen lamps, then rule of thumb is to derate the dimmer by half, so to dim 6x50w GU10 lamps you'd want a dimmer rated at 600w, might be tricky to find! Are all size lamps on the same gang (the wattage of a dimmer is per gang)

I've got two applications.

1) THe lounge has 6 GU50 halogen spot lights run from the one switch.

2) The new kitchen diner has a standard 100w bulb on the diner side, and a spot light cluster that uses 3 x GU50 halogens.

I need to find a single dimmer for the 6 in the lounge, and a double dimmer for the kitchen 3 and the conventinal bulb in the diner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back