2 gang 1 way dimmer to 1 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have series of halogens in kitchen organised in 2 groups and fed to a single (1 way) dimmer light switch with two buttons (2 gang).

Can I replace this with a 1 way 1 gang non dimmer? Only current one has worn out and I never use one set of lights without the other.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy reply? Do you know if there's a wiring diagram to illustrate this?

Show us a pic of the wiring and terminal connections at your existing switch ,for specific instructions. Combinations vary a little .

Sponsored Links
Post a picture of the switch wiring of your existing switch and (if you have it) the new switch too.

Here's how it's wired... Sleeves are all brown which doesnt help! As it is currently wired, the ring controlled by gang B only comes on if gang A is on.

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_121930_004~2.jpg
    IMG_20211002_121930_004~2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 90
Here's the new switch (lower diagram) per the instructions that came with it

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_122420_868~2.jpg
    IMG_20211002_122420_868~2.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 86
Permanent live goes to com and both switched lives go together in L1.
If new switch plate is metal ,earth conductors go into the switches earth terminal

I'm the idiot TTC speaks of! Am I putting the 2 wires currently in L1s into the single L1 slot on the new light switch? and then the live coming in or out of B live into Com of the new light switch?

If so what's the point of L2?

You have 3 wires. One is permanent live,the other 2 are switch wires ( one to each set of lights.)
The permanent live goes to com,the other two go together in L 1.
You need to test to confirm which is permanent live.
The terminal with squiggly lines appears to be connected to permanent live ,but you tell us that one gang doesn't work unless the other is switched on ,which is odd. So testing will confirm which is permanent live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back