Gap at top of window after hinge replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...thread title tells the basic tale, but I'll provide some detail.

The windows in question were here when we moved in 7 years ago and I reckon they're 20 years old at least, but till now perfectly serviceable.

Before going out this afternoon I went to shut a small top UPVC transom window in our bedroom, and it refused to close. On further examination I found that the black plastic piece that holds the two moving bars of the hinge and slides in the frame channel had snapped, so the bottom bar was loose and not housing properly when the window was closed. Long story short: I obtained replacement hinges from S'fix, and after struggling for about 2 hours I got them to fit so that the window would close.

I was just about to congratulate myself on a job well done (eventually) when I noticed daylight between the top of the frame and the outside wall above the window. No idea what I've done wrong, but it clearly needs addressing for a number of reasons.

Best way to proceed if its a DIY fix, please?

Sponsored Links
Reckon what's happening is that the nib at the top of the hinge isn't engaging with the black plastic receiver at the top of the channel, because if I apply pressure to the top of the outside of the window the gap closes. Maybe a different pair of hinges would do the trick.

sometimes the holes to fix the hinges don't match up with the original holes, there is a set distance for the top of the hinge to hang over the top of the sash frame

also, some hinges are handed, the black pointy bit get aided into it's correct position, if it's on the wrong way around, it can foul the window

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back