Gap beneath a gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lots written about leaving gaps above, behind and to the side of gas hobs fitted into a kitchen worktop but I was surprised to see a recommended gap of 130mm beneath one of the gas hobs I'm thinking of buying (unless I'm misinterpreting these instructions):

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1091031/Nordmende-Hg62ix.html?page=9#manual

A 130mm gap depth would consume just about the entire depth of the shallow drawer fitted below the hob so, I guess, the drawer can't be used? I'd really appreciate guidance or opinions and especially any workarounds that might allow me to use all (or some) of the drawer below. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It is always recommended to comply to the information given by the manufacturer. 130mm gap from beneath worktop and the next obstruction seems fair. if you had an inbuilt-in oven you would find that they provide that gap.

I've heard that a heat deflector plate - fitted just below the hob inside the kitchen unit underneath - could possibly be the answer and was hoping someone who had tried this would share their experience.

Although I generally agree with following manufacturers installation instructions, I get the feeling that some manufacturers are being overly cautious when it comes to Health & Safety and I wonder if that's the case here. Whatever gas hob I end up with, I'll conduct my own heat testing in order to determine a reasonable solution.

I've heard that a heat deflector plate - fitted just below the hob inside the kitchen unit underneath - could possibly be the answer

Where does it deflect the heat too?

I'll conduct my own heat testing in order to determine a reasonable solution.

How will that work - keep reducing the gap until it burns out, then buy a new one and install it with slightly larger gaps?

Sponsored Links
What must be taken into consideration, is there is sensitive equipment and safety controls within the body of the hob. So you need to prevent damage and also keep that area ventilated. To ignore MIs and common sense is foolish.

Managed to find a heat shield/deflector/protector:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/doc/assembly_instructions/nyttig__aa-725432-3_pub.pdf
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/appliances/hobs/nyttig-hob-separator-for-drawer-art-10243296/

The gap between the bottom of the hob and the heat shield is ventilated through holes/slots at the very top of the cabinet front which I see is slightly inset thus preventing a closed cabinet door/drawer from blocking escaping warm air which will be able to flow out through the gap between top edge of door/drawer and underside of worktop. As long as I can ensure a clear path for escaping warm air, this looks like the solution.

If the 130mm requirement were to avoid burning your hands when reaching into the drawer, that would be a useful solution.

But if the 130mm requirement is to ensure sufficient air flow to the bottom of the hob to prevent it from overheating, then fitting that closer than 130mm to the bottom of the hob will potentially cause trouble.

But if the 130mm requirement is to ensure sufficient air flow to the bottom of the hob to prevent it from overheating, then fitting that closer than 130mm to the bottom of the hob will potentially cause trouble.

I guess the choice is between a 130mm deep non-ventilated space and a 2 or 3cm deep ventilated slot courtesy of vent holes in the front top edge of the cabinet. I'll discuss with the Gas Safe installer. I can also conduct tests with thermocouple temperature detectors and see which option keeps the hob base at the lowest temp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back