Gap between 2 extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a slight problem at the moment.

I live in a 1950 3 bed semi detached. I have been there 3 years My next door neighbour, has an rear single storey flat roof extenstion. It has been there well before I moved in. Guessing at least 20 years old. I have no reason to question the quality of the build what so ever.

So the problem

I have informed him that I want to build an rear extention with a pitched roof and to the same length from the house as his 3.5m.

I have submitted under neighbourhood devoplment scene. There is no issue with that and party wall agreement. He his more than happy for me build. Now his extenstion is build 8inches short of the party wall of the house. That's from me equally dividing the bricks from both 1st floor windows and measuring inside. His footings come short of the party wall by an inch or so.
My plan was to build a total Independant structure so not to interfere with any part of his extension leaving 8 inches for air flow

My neighbour actually wants me to build over the party wall onto his land to close the gap. He is worried about damp from debris and lack of ventilation.

I have mentioned I won't unless the deeds are changed with the solicitors. He has mentioned just writing a letter, both signing it allowing me to build on his land. Is that a legal document?

Building control haven't visited yet but from speaking to them and 2 friends who are experienced builders, they have both advised me to stick to my boundary. If I don't build on his land I feel things may become awkward and then may object to fears of damp

Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Build yours to the boundary as normal, then adapt his roof and flash it into your wall or roof and block up the front gap with something suitable.

Build yours to the boundary as normal, then adapt his roof and flash it into your wall or roof and block up the front gap with something suitable.

That's what I had in mind. If I don't put a damp course in that section is there any chance of rising damp? If the air flow is restricted

And with my roof being pitched and his flat what's the best way to make it water tight?

Sponsored Links
You wont get damp because of no air flow. I'm not sure what you mean by a damp course, but you would need one in the base of the wall as normal. The roof adaptation will keep the water out of the void.

You'll need to ask whoever does the plans to detail a suitable connection. Essentially, it will be a narrow section of flat roof from timber, ply and felt, with lead flashing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back