Gap between concrete steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I fill in this big gap in my steps to my front door. I have tried mortar, but it just falls through because there just empty space behind.

Sponsored Links
Just keep pouring wet mortar in until it stops. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
so his suggestion may be the only one although if its hollow you will need loads
try prodding with something long to see how much room you have :cool: :cool:

It is a bit of a tricky one.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but would it be feasible to use lots of expanding foam with a nozzle and try to get it to stick to the underside of the top step and back edge of the second step so that it expands out of the gap?
Once fully cured, you could then cut a V groove into it which would allow you to finish the joint with cement, or perhaps more suitably, a cement based filler.

As said, just thinking out loud and probably many reasons why it wouldn't work, but it's the best I can think of right now! :confused:

You could use a thin coat render stop bead (or any other suitable sized / shaped eml - but you'll have to mess around cutting it to shape). Plonk it on and whack yer muck on top - sorted :cool: .

Re-nose the treads, i.e. add a brick-on-edge to all the step fronts.

this will have the effect of making the stairs protrude further from the house but ho hum at least they will have a fancy finish.

Re-nose the treads, i.e. add a brick-on-edge to all the step fronts.

re nose all of them - with a bullnose brick cut short :idea: maybe a staffs. blue - from a salvage yard - or a redundant railway bridge ;)

www.stair-nosing.co.uk the fibreglass safety ones - but with an upstand @ the back too - and no yellow band @ the front . Worth giving them a try - and you get safe steps into the bargain :idea:

I assume the top step is tied into the brickwork either side to support it, but I am left wondering what is supporting the rest of it.... :confused:

well as everybody else has pointed out you need at least sky hooks :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back