Gap between dwellings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What is the minimum gap that must be left between two dwellings when building an extension?

E.g. 2 semi-detached properties have a driveway between them that belongs to the non-extended house, the house next door has a full height extension that is build right up to the dividing line.

If the non-extended house was to build right up to the dividing line, it would make the two semi's both terrace as they would be joined, so im guessing this is not allowed? and there must be a gap?

Like this house, although in this example the extended house is not right up to the dividing line.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51....vpsrc=0&iwloc=A&panoid=z1W6h46wxmKEs-M0IGzgFA

I know someone with this issue and just wondered, but the extension is not shown on street view yet, so cant post the actual house.

Sponsored Links
I presume Planning Approval is being sought after here, so it would have to be shown on the drawings?

Nowadays a side extension to a semi would normally have to be 'stepped back' to break the elevation, thereby eliminating that concern of a 'terraced' feel.

I'd say you need enough working space for the bricky, so maybe 150mm to 200mm?

Although I'd be interested to know if anybody has ever been granted permission to go right upto the existing neighbours extension?

Anyone can build up to the boundary subject to any local planning policy saying otherwise

Actually touching or joining to adjacent property is not a planning issue but a civil issue requiring agreement of the property owners

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back