Gap In Skirting Board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have had a new door put in and the trim around the door is much smaller then what I had before. I am now left with a ugly gap.

I am struggling to find skirting to match, any advice how to tidy this mess up so its does not look so bad?

Attachments

• IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 154
Sponsored Links
Various options open to you:
1) Wait until one of your neighbours chucks out a length of matching skirting.
2) Make some duplicate, yourself. Looks like it could be done with a few layers of 4mm MDF and some beading.
3) Replace the lot
4) Install plinth blocks to fill the gaps, and add similarly deep architrave around the door. (The door and architrave you have now is the cheapest you can get, are you on an extremely tight budget / rented house?)
5) I think this is a close match: http://www.dressermouldings.com/store/timber-skirtings/type-34-timber-skirting.html

Last edited:
Thank you Gary and foxhole, I will consider either replacing the architrave or skirting board.

Gary, the architrave was cheap, the door was £160 is that considered cheap for a internal door?

Sponsored Links
Thank you Gary and foxhole, I will consider either replacing the architrave or skirting board.

Gary, the architrave was cheap, the door was £160 is that considered cheap for a internal door?
Can only see edge of door but looks like a cheap hollow wood effect door [about £15 worth].

the door was £160

Including fitting?

I expect you went for a panelled door to match the original.

Perhaps it's a fire door. It is very heavy, and 44mm thick?

In an older house, you would do better to fit a larger architrave, as near as you can find to the original.

Next time, keep the old architrave.

And get a smooth door, not that fake grain effect.

This is a much better one (it is the heavy fire door) http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Wobu...th-Moulded-6-Panel-1981mm-Height/p/9000152502

Urg, 6 panel. Ugly! I've often wondered why 6 panel has become almost a defacto standard when 99% of domestic British doors were four panel for more than a century (and a good deal more aesthetically pleasing)l. And why you can't buy a traditional looking PVC door. Only in the last 2 years have I started to see vaguely British-Victorian-looking PVC doors, still a way to go though. *shrug*

Last edited:
Try and find another bit from around the house in an inconspicuous area that you can take off and use to fill the gap. For example an under stairs cupboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back