Gap or butt-fit paving slabs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying 10msq of 450mmx450mm paving slabs for a patio that will be used as a dining area. So there won't be any vehicles going over it. The sub-surface will be 75mm of MOT1 compacted with a vibrating plate, and I intend to use a full bed mortar.

I was looking to see if there was a consensus among you lads that are doing this kind of thing day-in day-out, as to the best/easiest method when it comes to laying the slabs. Should I Butt-fit or leave a gap, and how may mm should the gap be?

As a plumber, I've done my fair share of tiling, but nothing quite as industrial!

Thanks for your help in advance.
Gary

Sponsored Links
Don;t butt them as there is a chance of spalling each other if there was any movement. A 2mm gap for kiln dried sand up to a max of 4mm then if you want a mortar joint instead it needs to be at least 8mm.

Don;t butt them as there is a chance of spalling each other if there was any movement. A 2mm gap for kiln dried sand up to a max of 4mm then if you want a mortar joint instead it needs to be at least 8mm.

Thanks for your help.
Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back