Gap under door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've recently had my hallway tiled and the tiler trimmed the door to make it open. This has resulted in a big gap under the door of about 1.2cm under the inside of the door on one side but the other side has no gap. On the front of the door the gap is about 4cm on one side, reducing to 3cm on the other. I've looked at getting a threshold to resolve the issue but can't find one that would work with our door. Does anyone have any ideas to fix the problem?

Attachments

• IMG_3006.JPG
    IMG_3006.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_3007.JPG
    IMG_3007.JPG
    254.2 KB · Views: 221
Sponsored Links
has your door settled with age and gone out of square? It looks like you need to buy a threshold and plane it down to fit the slope.

You could also fit a brush-pile draught excluder on the inside which will accommodate the gap.

You can have a batten on the outside fixed to the sill, but it might form a trip hazard.

A joiner can knock open the joints on an old panelled door and re-make it square; I don't know what that would cost. Maybe combine it with stripping and repainting the door when you are ready. If it is a fine old door it will be worth it.

p.s.
your ventilator is not open enough. Do you have any other airbricks ventilating the void or cellar under the floor?

Thanks for your reply. The doors very old but I think it is square still - not sure about the rest of the house though. Something is clearly not square! Can you get timber thresholdsor were you suggesting trimming a metal one? Thanks again

timber.

just a strip of hardwood

it will be very exposed to wet, though, so I'd treat it very generously with Cuprinol Clear after planing and before fixing.

Sponsored Links
Put a spirit level on the floor in the 1st picture, and see if it's level, then check the floor's level on the LH side, and open the door up, and post a picture of the gap when it's wide open. Can you also post a picture of the front door from the front when it's half open, and also from inside when it's closed. We can see dalight under the door, but not the contruction of the sill, and the level of the floor inside the door.

What was the situation before the floor was tiled? Surely there would still have been an uneven gap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back