Gap under skirting boards, how big?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, in the next few weeks i will be installing all new skirting boards in the loft, but when ripping the old ones out i saw there was a gap underneath (for the carpet and underlay i know), how big should this gap be? do i just leave 'a bit of a gap' or do i get my tape measure out?

Ryan.

Sponsored Links
huge.so big a mouse or rat can get under it, :LOL:

as above no gap,well you could put some glass paper down just to give you a slight expansion gap if it is needed?.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, if that is the case how is a crisp finish obtained around the edges of the new carpet that will be fitted?

because if the fitters are any good then they install gripper rods/tape and stretch the carpet and then using something like a brick bolster gently run the carpet down the edge of the skirting.

I've just fitted a load and I decided to leave approx a 1cm gap underneath. I just placed spacers under until the gripfill had dried and then removed.

Reason I did this was

I thought they would tuck the carpet under.

it's easier to lift the floorboards if needed (without having to cut them).

also if running aerial cable (if moving the room round) it can be tucked under.

I did fit some in the hall flat to the floor but will now have to cut an inch off the bottom as fitting wood flooring.

Will keep a mental note for next time. :)

Thanks for the replies, if that is the case how is a crisp finish obtained around the edges of the new carpet that will be fitted?
because if the fitters are any good then they install gripper rods/tape and stretch the carpet and then using something like a brick bolster gently run the carpet down the edge of the skirting.
Learn something new every day. Presumably that has changed in the last 20 years then, because my parents house has 10mm ish under all the skirting boards in carpeted rooms.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back