Gap under window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, in one of my bedrooms i can feel the window sill is very cold. I took a look outside and see a good 2 to 3 inch gap and screws into the bricks. Those screws are from the window frame. They were fitted before i bought the house and are double glazed
My question is should i put rockwool in the gap or expanding foam? As the gap is under the sill you can't get rain in there. My gut instinct is to foam it

Sponsored Links
Foam it, but then you need to cover it over, and seal it somehow.

Cheers am i being thick why did i need to seal it?

I could use a white pvc strip ive got in the shed. Is that suitable

If you had rockwool in there, it would get wet if not sealed up afterwards. If you put in foam, it'll react to the light, so both solutions need sealing afterwards. A white PVC strip would be fine, but what should have been there; and old window cill, or bricks perhaps.

Sponsored Links
Its a first floor window next to a pitched roof. It was only in the recent cold i noticed how chilly it was. When i stuck my head out i spotted the gap. Its not really visible from the ground.
Thanks for the advice I've just given my foam gun a good clean up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back