Gapotape vs expanding foam for PIR boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seen this on YouTube. Looks good stuff but hideously expensive. Pretty much half the price of the insulation again.

Any of you used it or do you simply go the old school route with a foam gun and save a fortune?

Sponsored Links
They actually state to cut the panels short, then shove their tape on so that it fits.

What's wrong with cutting it to the correct size?

Ridiculous. Solution looking for a problem.

They actually state to cut the panels short, then shove their tape on so that it fits.

What's wrong with cutting it to the correct size?

Ridiculous. Solution looking for a problem.
Performance gap and all that. Have you ever measured your "correctly cut" boards' performance? IIRC the latest regs mean you have to prove it works

I like the idea but as OP says it's pricy. If only PIR was a bit more squishy :)

Sponsored Links
Yeh I think Gapotape is insanely expensive, I'm not saying I know the company could do it cheaper etc I'm just saying this stuff is for the rich. Even though I knew this for the craic I thought I'd see how much it'd cost for my current little loft conversion & it came to well over a grand just for tape, which is significantly more than I'll be paying for all the actual PIR insulation boards (150mm PIR between rafters & 40mm over).

I think Gapotape looks great & I'd love to use it but I'm just not paying that. I will say cutting boards to fit tight doesn't work well, I've cut them so tight that I've had to bray them in with a bit of 4x2 & a sledge hammer so you can't even poke a piece of paper down the sides. However come back in a few months when the timbers have moved & on a windy day & you'll feel the air whistling through in places. I'll be going for loose fitting with a 10mm ish gap around the sides & expanding foam, which is messier, more time taking, not as efficient & will still cost me around £150 in expanding foam but will save me best part of a grand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back