gaps at mitres between beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've recently installed new upstairs windows, 40mm sealed units in Spectus Elite 70. Unfortunately the beads don't meet properly in the corners, I was careful to mark so they went back in the right locations (top/bottom/left/right). The company I bought the frames from asked me to deglaze a bead and check for 45 degrees, I did this but I also took out two more and taped them flat on one of the old sealed units from the old windows. The 45 degrees is right, but the problem is it's been cut not quite right - placing the beads flat on the glass the back of the bead mitres meet but the front there's a gap, see attached! You can get the front mitres to meet, but only if you tilt the beads. I don't think this is acceptable (surely it's not normal to have to fill gaps between beads with caulk or similar - it looks awful), so have asked for new beads or offered to let them come and measure if they need to - still waiting to hear back. Do companies normally have records of bead length?! I just wanted to double check it's not normal to require the backs of beads to be trimmed somehow? The only way you'd get two of them to fit at the front *and* sit flat/be on the same plane would be to shave the back of both beads somehow.

So far the company are responding, though I did have issues with them - to cut a long story short I got my money back on the glass and then sourced it elsewhere myself, as they screwed up the original glass order. Hopefully they're able to sort this out, I don't like having to deal with them again but I don't have a choice!
IMG_20210213_105824.jpg
IMG_20210213_105837.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back