Garage Condensation and impervious membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a detached double garage with a pitched roof. It's got a single skin wall , double glazed windows and a large [auto] door. It's situated with two sides surrounded by a 5ft retaining wall, and the other two don't get a lot of wind due to the road location (surrounded on 3 sides by hills).

Anyway - we obviously need ventilation. I'm going to put in a couple of ducting tubes, going from the soffits to the top of the apex - should provide a decent flow of air, but obviously it may not be enough.

It has an impervious membrance on the underside of the roof and down the vertical walls (in the roof space), which is where the condesation condensates (sorry...). The above method won't go through the membrance.

One other I can do is replace a hanging tile on the front of the garage and replace it with a vent. This will of course go through the membrance. Or I could just cut the membrane and put some ducting in the cut; this won't allow as much air through, but would allow some. Do I need the membrance behind the [vertical] tiles anyway? Is it just overkill?

Should I make a hole in the membrane? It wouldn't be on the actual roof, just the vertical sides, so hopefully no rain would get in. There wouldn't be anymore moisture than there is now.

The decent thing to do would be to put in a wind turbine, but I can't find one to replace a concrete tile, or indeed a velux. Both of which are a lot more expensive (and not something I can do), and still may not solve the problem. They would also cut the membrane, so I'm guessing it's not completely verbotten.

ta

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
condense is what it does; condensate is what it produces :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back