Garage conversion advice!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i have a 3bed 4yr old terrace/town house with built in single garage which has 3rd bedroom above. the garage is accessable from the utility at the back of the house and has the downstairs loo behind it.

I would like to convert the garage into a extra reception room as i have limited space!:D (to much junk!)
At the moment i have to walk through the lounge to get to the kitchen, which i hate so i would love to have extra room as a study/quiet room etc.

The drive is big enough for one car and the front garden could be removed to make space for 2 plsu free on street parking.

I dont think converting the garage will devalue the house as i think it will be better use for the space.

I would like to have a side door and window fitted in the gap where the garage door is, i know you can buy PVC units that are the size of the garage door opening, anyone recommend or seen these?
i really would like the door as acess to the back garden is limited so we would need to take bikes etc though or have some sort of shed on the drive for the bikes!

please can anyone outline what needs to be done to the garge for building regs etc and how much it is possible for me to do myself!:) i have some very useful friends plus my friends fiance is a builder and as they are saving he would appreciate the extra work!;)

thanks and look forward to replies

Katie :)

Sponsored Links
converting a garage, (as far as building control are concerned) usually means upgrading the insulation surrounding the garage 'cell', to satisfy current 'u' values.

also, any knock through lintelling or front facade foundations will be scrutinized.

heating will require thermostatic radiator valves.

electrics will need to satisfy part p reg's and lighting may need to be of the energy efficient variety.

the upvc window will need trickle vents, contain 'low e' glass, and satisfy fensa fitting reg's.

there may be mains smoke alarm issues, but these usually concern hallway and landing situations, though some more remote rooms do create fire risks all of their own.

done this myself in the old house and had to get building regs and you do need a smoke alarm,just as a precaution I used joists to floor it out in case the buyer wanted a garage just for a easy conversion back if required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back