Garage conversion - insulation? (Moved from Projects)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm hoping to get my garage converted into a proper usable room with full electrics/plumbing etc. Its a long garage (29ft) but quite narrow at 9ft2".

Due to it being so narrow, I need to install the thinnest possible insulation that meets the required standards. Could anyone point me in the direction of something that would suit? I had a guy out for a quote and he said the minimum would be 65mm including plasterboard.

The floor also needs insulated, at the minute (im not sure of the technical term) it just looks like 1 big smooth concrete floor. Got quoted the minimum for the flooring would be 100mm, which I thought was quite deep? This is quite a lot considering the ceiling in the garage isnt that tall (it was roughly 7ft6").

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I was also hoping to use insulation that was good for sound proofing, would this add to the bulk?

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
Is the garage integral or does it have a roof?

What is the make-up of the walls?

Non-integral, uninsulated garages require the floor, walls and roof to be upgraded to latest thermal spec'. There is some leeway with the floor but this will depend upon the inspector or the efficiency of the remaining thermal elements.

Sorry, I should have included that info in the original post!

The garage is detached with a flat roof. The walls look very similar to the floor and are of some type of concrete. The only door is the full sized garage door, which will be getting bricked up.

There are 2 large windows, 1 window will be getting replaced with a normal door with sidelight, which will be the entrance to the garage, the other window will be getting replaced with double glazing.

Thanks

Adam

Sponsored Links
You'll need 80mm of foil backed insulation on the walls and in the floor. This will be plus the wall and floor coverings. You may well need 40 or 50mm under the roof joists in addition to some in between.

The type of insualtion required for slimness, is not the best for sound insualtion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back