Garage conversion upgrade (insulation)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We had about 2/3 of garage in our link-detached house converted by previous owners (its about 8x12ft in size, artex-like ceiling, wallpaper on walls, carpet on the floor (floor not raised), inside door, outside door and window and a radiator).

It's quite cold there in winter time, so I suppose it wasn't insulated properly.

What is the easiest and cheapest way to insulate it?

I am thinking about Celotex panels route as this wouldn't require wallpaper removal and wall preparation etc., as I understand. Not sure what to do with ceiling and floor. Two long walls are heated on the other side, is insulating only other surfaces an option ?

We might be moving house soon, so I don't want to invest thousands in it, just make it habitable for a year or so.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like throwing a bit more money at the heating bill, or some nice wool jumpers might be the way to go, rather than a half assed effort at upgrading the building, especially considering the limited time you'll need it for?

I see, would insulating non-heated walls with Celotex help a bit, it seems like an easy thing to do ?

Sponsored Links
The difference can be calculated, if you want to start down that dark road..

www.thermalcalconline.com has a calculator for wall U value. Ultimately, you'll get to a value for your wall like 0.50 or 0.31 etc
In real terms, you then take that value and multiply it by the square area of the wall (in metres square) and by the degrees celsuis temperature difference between inside and outside.. and that's the number of watts heat your wall loses. If it's a thousand watts, then you have to pour 1 kilowatt into the room continuously to keep it at the temperature it currently is.. That can then be directly translated into money in terms of the number of kilowatts multiplied by the number of hours heating.. Enter the kilowatt hour, the unit by which energy is sold to you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back