Garage Conversion... Ventilation??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Not far off starting a conversion on our garage. Was built approx 18months ago.

Single block skin with render finish. The plan is to stud out inside, rigid insulation board between studs then a sheet of rigid over the face, then batten (service void) then plasterboard. Obviously taping and sealing for vcl etc.

What I'd like to know is what's the best idea for ventilation within the cavity? We have vents ontop of the fascia, underneath the first corse of slates but that's it. Would this suffice? Or is there any ideas? Or do I leave as it it...

As you can see the rear wall is retaining some of the garden at the moment but will be tanked etc once the new drainage line etc is put it. There is no signs of damp inside etc either.

Much appreciated

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
20210915_170627.jpg
20210915_170639.jpg

Attachments

• 20210915_170649.jpg
    20210915_170649.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 53
Sponsored Links
Because that's what you do on garage conversions!

Otherwise you'll need to continuously vent the top, and fit a tray and drainage at the bottom

@^woody^ so what your saying is insulate and dab straight to the block work?
I'm not sure if I'm keen on that with the rear wall retain soil/mud from the garden...

@^woody^ so what your saying is insulate and dab straight to the block work?
I'm not sure if I'm keen on that with the rear wall retain soil/mud from the garden...
No. Who mentioned dabs?

You stated that you were building a frame.
Or fix battens to the wall.

The back of the wall would be lined with a DPM

Sorry I miss understood your point. So your saying build a timber frame but tight to the block?

But what if (highly unlikely) water did get in??

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back