Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Wonder if any of you guys can help.

I want to convert my garage into a Home Office/Storage area. So the office would be at the front of the garage looking out of a window and perhaps 1/3rd of the garage at the back storage partitioned off with a stud wall. It is a Taylor Wimpey New Build 2 years old. I had someone come out today to look at the garage who was asking questions which I didn't know. Like is the floor insulated.... The garage floor is the same level as the rest of the house, i'm guessing if the house floor is insulated the garage will be. I did view the plot when it was being built and it was a big square concrete base before any blockwork was put on. Am I correct in presuming this? There is electric in the garage but no radiators etc. Would I need planning permission if I add a radiator? The builder seems to think I would for some reason.

I am based in the Worcester area, could any of you guys recommend anyone who has done this thing before.

Any advice from you experienced guys would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You could dig a small hole in the floor to see if it’s insulated, if it isn’t though would you dig it all out to insulate it? Don’t think I would.

A new build is likely to have had permitted development rights removed so you will need planning permission for the conversion, radiator or not. And building regulation approval. Also check for any covenants on the deeds in Wimpeys' favour, preventing this type of work for a few years.

A garage floor is very unlikely to be insulated.

Sponsored Links
In the meantime, walk around the estate and see who else has done a conversion! Most people happy with the job will be only too glad to talk about it to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back