Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope someone can help.

I am in the process of having our integral Garage converted. Our Lounge bay window is quite low. Do you think I should have the height of the brickwork matching the height of the bay window to keep it uniform and as if it was not an addition. Any advice would be much appreciated. Attached is an image of the house when we first moved in.

Attachments

• IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 290
Sponsored Links
Converted to what?

The bay cill looks to low to fit in the garage space, it may look odd/ out of proportion. 1200 deep frame tends to look ok if it's going to be a living room, and lines up with the door midrail.

Otherwise, a 1050 deep frame.

It will be an office/Playroom.

I have actually found an image online of the same property converted. Does this look ok do you think?

Attachments

• 4424_28305007_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg
    4424_28305007_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 294
No, that window looks far too dominant and odd.

If its an office, with a desk, then a higher cill will be better.

Sponsored Links
Like this?

Attachments

• 4424_28305007_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg
    4424_28305007_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 274
That's better.

I can see that a full width window may be appropriate to go with the blue arch/lintel, but often full width windows look a bit crap, and there are no side walls inside for the curtains to hang.

So if you want a smaller width window, then extending the porch canopy across will hide the lintel and also break up the front to make the garage window less dominant and the bay more prominent. Just an option, if you have done that in Photoshop, see what it looks like.

Edit - Oh I see that the image was done by someone else!

There is one at the top of the estate that has been converted I seen today but they set it back and not keyed in the brickwork.

Attachments

• 6CE3A8A3-F07B-4D0C-8E3C-9CFFF9A3AC4F.jpeg
    6CE3A8A3-F07B-4D0C-8E3C-9CFFF9A3AC4F.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 261
  • 78BCDEE4-B5B3-43DE-BE68-39E10F407422.jpeg
    78BCDEE4-B5B3-43DE-BE68-39E10F407422.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 252
Hi, I wanted to get some advise of you as you have converted your garage into a living space. I own a new build Taylor Wimpey house with integrated garage which is only 2 year old. I wanted to know that did you have to dig up the flooring or was it insulated as the foundation of the entire house is the same level, would really apricate your help. Many thanks

Hi there. Have you got a haddenham house type? We just used the existing floor as there was a dpm under the screed. Not to sure if it was insulated though. These new houses are built on block and beam so not in direct contact with the ground. We are having laminate put in the conversion so an extra insulated dpm will be laid before the floor. Building regs passed it off though. We only converted 3 quarters of the garage then had a door put in the back from outside to a storage area.

thanks for getting back. Its a Bradenham and I was told by the site manager that the foundation is their so the garage door needs bricking up, a window and a door entrance to the garage. Shall I contact the building regs before starting the work as am still look for quotes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back