Cracked Screed in Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a room in our house that was converted from a garage approx 40 years ago. There is now a concerning crack that runs parallel to the external wall (150mm away) across the face of a bay window (put into what was the side of the garage originally). The floor then slopes slightly away from this crack all the way along.

I've opened up the crack and basically discovered that to bring the level up 200mm when the garage was converted they put a load of rubble on the existing slab and put between 10 & 80mm of screed over the top.

I'm not keen on ripping up all of their handy work, but is digging out a trench and filling it more substantially going to be enough?

Sponsored Links
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG

that's why you're no longer allowed to just use old bricks and rubble as hardcore anymore, due to settlement issues, as it can't be compacted properly especially when just dumped on top of another concrete slab. You might get away with just fixing the problem area but then again you might just move it further along, depends on their handywork really

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I feel like I have little choice but to rip it out and start again, what really hurts is the room was basically finished bar flooring and skirting.

Now I know how badly it was done and how loose the rubble is beneath the screed I don't want to hide the problem under £1000 of flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back