Garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm intending on converting my integral garage into a room and there are some questions I've got regarding the floor.
Initially I wanted to do it myself, timber on both sides and joists to get to the right height (step is around 200mm). DPC just below the joists (leaving an unventilated gap of around 80mm) and 100mm foam insulation between joists. Then cover the top with tongue and grove. After talking to one builder he suggested a concrete screed over insulation would be cheaper, instead of the timber floor. From my calculation, timber floor will cost me at least £400 (timber+fixings only). Concrete would be £150 (1.2m3) + labour (not sure how much - £250 for one days work should cut it). Last option is to get a thicker insulation (165mm) and lay it directly on the slab - this is the option I'm most in favour of now.
It would be interested to hear what people say.

Cheers

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No way would a timber floor cost that much. Overall, with cheaper insulation the costs should be similar, or a few pounds more depending on what timber and fittings are specified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back