Garage Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved house and I would like to convert half of my garage to a storage / larder.
The garage has a fire door into the utility room which I am planning to leave, where I split the garage in half do I need another fire door between the garage and proposed larder is 170mm below the house floor. The garage will never be a garage as you no most garages cant fit a car in anyway.
can anyone advise me
Vince

Sponsored Links
Assuming you’re not going to be converting the new area along the lines of making it habitable, i.e. by insulating it, then just do what you want.

No its just going to be larder and storage space on the garage side, do you know if the partitioned wall needs to be plastered on both sides

The garage will never be a garage as you no most garages cant fit a car in anyway.
What about a motorbike, or a can of petrol for the car? :cautious:

For building regulations, as long as you maintain the perimeter of the whole garage and keep the fire door, you can fit any wall you like and plaster or unplaster it.

For planning permission purposes, check that there is no planning condition requiring the garage to be kept as a garage.

And you may need to notify your insurers of the additional room and use.

Sponsored Links
Is it a room, though?

Or is it just a garage with fitted shelves which reach from floor to ceiling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back