1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Garage Conversion

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by Vince150261, 5 May 2021.

1. Vince150261

Vince150261

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have just moved house and I would like to convert half of my garage to a storage / larder.
    The garage has a fire door into the utility room which I am planning to leave, where I split the garage in half do I need another fire door between the garage and proposed larder is 170mm below the house floor. The garage will never be a garage as you no most garages cant fit a car in anyway.
    can anyone advise me
    Vince

2. DevilDamo

DevilDamo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Assuming you’re not going to be converting the new area along the lines of making it habitable, i.e. by insulating it, then just do what you want.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Vince150261

Vince150261

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No its just going to be larder and storage space on the garage side, do you know if the partitioned wall needs to be plastered on both sides

5. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What about a motorbike, or a can of petrol for the car? :cautious:

For building regulations, as long as you maintain the perimeter of the whole garage and keep the fire door, you can fit any wall you like and plaster or unplaster it.

For planning permission purposes, check that there is no planning condition requiring the garage to be kept as a garage.

And you may need to notify your insurers of the additional room and use.

6. Sponsored Links
  7. Captain Nemesis

Captain Nemesis

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it a room, though?

Or is it just a garage with fitted shelves which reach from floor to ceiling?