Garage (detached) / games room insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m looking to ‘convert’ my garage into a games room and gym.

I’m not sure how much I’ll be using it so looking to do it as cheap as possible and bit by bit.

my question is what, from an insulation perspective I should do first? I’ve done nothing yet but paint the brick walls.

I’m considering thermal foil on the garage door, but also wondering if I could do the same up in the rafters - staple it on? Seems cheap and easy, but do I need to worry about ventilation? There are a couple of boards in the loft area, but that’s it.

Thanks for your help!!

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for your help.

It’s an up and over, steel panel, canopy framed door (basic - it’s what was installed by the house builder). I’ll probably heat with a oil radiator, but likely only when in use.

I’ve taken some pictures of the roof area. I think it’s common trusses.

70FD1CCF-6536-4E90-9B0D-07D76017E902.jpeg
9EC0A2BE-525E-4624-ADBC-AB71427D1C3F.jpeg

You need to close the roof space by adding plasterboard ceiling , rock wool above.
Open roof like that will swallow any heating . Doors are difficult to seal effectively. Is there another door?

Sponsored Links
Yes, there are two of those doors, and a uPVC single door.

Plasterboard ceiling makes sense; sounds thorough. Is there any other option, or is that it really for this tier of construction??

Doors or ceiling first?! I’m currently thinking the thermal foil would be quickest and easiest to install for the doors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back