seperating and insulating garage below bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

Whilst I've seen and read up with this site a few times figured it would be now time for me to join and ask some questions :)

I'm utterly hopeless with DIY, like I'll scratch my head when it comes to hammering a nail in a wall for a photo and worry in case I hit anything :)

Anyways......

sooo.....we bought our first home recently. It has a garage, which was initially seperated, but since had been joined up with a study in between, and an additional bedroom above the garage.

The front of the garage is a roller shutter, to the back is a door to utility room and leading into conservatory. The walls are just brick/breezeblock or whatever it is

Now in the garage and conservatory it naturally gets very cold. The upstairs bedroom is obviously cold, but heating in the house looks after that. The previous occupiers did have the garage seperated off a little, with a cheap wooden 'wall', so that there was space in the front for kids bikes etc, but the rest of the back was their "gym' area. They were meant to leave that in, but annoyingly took it out before moved, presumably to move furniture out, and then must have got rid of it.

Now I'd like to do similar, which should block some of the draft and make that garage space a bit warmer. As short term measure (making not one iota of difference :) ) there is an old rug taking up most of the garage floor space

I don't intend to use it for my car. It's not going to be a living space as such but would like to make it a bit more efficient and warm for kids playing, perhaps with occasional oil filled radiator use, or if went down a basic gym route

Could I please ask....

1. I've read on searching, that garages are meant to be 'ventilated' otherwise can get condensation problems. Does this still apply if its since become part of the house and with bedroom above? A small bit of ventilation should be fine, but is there any specific need that's different? Is it reasonable of me to assume I should be able to make this room a bit more habitable (without being a full conversion of garage), without causing condensation problems? Afterall, a normal house with no garage doesn't insist on having an ice cold room lol

2. There is quite a gap of air above the roller shutters, so firstly I'm wondering if there's any way to reduce that.

3. What type of wood/large sheets would I be best to get in order to make that screw in seperation wall again like the previous occupiers will have had?

4. After doing the above seperation wall, I'm thinking (assuming no potential issues to consider), that could perhaps get some sort of wall panels that would stick to the wall and act as some sort of thermal insulation too? (aswell as to the seperation wall presumably to prevent heat loss) Any ideas what type of stuff would be good for this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Without any pictures or plans, my instinct would be to build a stud partition within the garage behind the roller blinds. This should be deep enough to keep some "front of house" things such as wheelie bins, shelving unit for oil, basic gardening, defroster sprays etc. The partition wall could be filled with insulation such as kingspan or cellotex, as indeed could the floor which could be then covered with moisture resistant flooring. Similarly, a stud framework against an external wall with more insulation could be put up. As to what to cover all this up with, it's up to you- sheet timber has it's value, but in cost terms using plasterboard skimmed by a pro probably wouldn't be significantly different.

that's good help, thank you :) I now know names of stuff I'm looking for (yup I never even 'really' knew what a 'stud wall' was either lol, and so can begin to estimate a rough cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back