Garage door advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've gt a very old concrete section garage. The doors on it are not staying open properly now and sagging down. I know that its just a matter of tightening the springs, but I'm worried about the mechanism.

The pictures show the mechanism and also the worn joint that is worrying me. It looks to be working its way through the metal.

http://www.alanmangroo.com/pics/garage/index.html

Is there anyway to repair this?
I've had 2 companies round to look at it and both recommend just replacing the whole door. Its a double garage so double the cost of one door! Should I just bite the bullet and get something new installed?

Any advice or ideas?

Thanks
Alan

Sponsored Links
Alan
It’s easy to repair worn clevis pin joints by removing the arm(s!), welding up the hole(s) & re-drilling to match the size of new clevis pins. It’s unlikely anyone you bring in will want to do this as there is no money in it for them so it’s really a DIY job even if you go to your local engineering shop for the welding & drilling! But that door looks quiet old & if there are other problems with it, you might as well get a new one fitted.

Thanks for replying.
I've found a welder who is going to have a go at repairing the worn arm. If he cant then I'll replace the lot.

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back