Garage door insulation and ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm planning to insulate my garage with YBS ThermaWrap Insulation but I've noticed there are gaps or vents in my garage door well I think they are vents, please see pictures. If I cover over gaps will that cause a problem due to lack of air and cause issues like mould maybe. As you can tell im not clued up on this at all. The other option is to insulate the door and still all the air to flow through but that defeats the whole point of insulation.
Any help would be great - thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20231007_170021.jpg
    IMG_20231007_170021.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20231007_170026.jpg
    IMG_20231007_170026.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20231007_170318.jpg
    IMG_20231007_170318.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Sorry it's my the door I want to insulate only .Is it was recommended by Toolstation. They do another one with self adhesive backs. Heat source inside the garage will be a electric heater.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes up and over double garage door.

Most garages are so poorly insulated, that insulating the door will make almost no difference. I don't know how heavy the insulation might be, but up and over doors are carefully counterbalanced by springs, adding weight to the door, might make it difficult to raise, and impossible to make it remain open. Why are you trying to heat a garage?

The usual 3kw fan heater will hardly make any difference to the temperature. If it is to allow you to work more comfortably at a bench, the IR heaters are more suited to that, they heat what ever the IR beam lands upon, rather than trying to warm the air itself.

Most garages are so poorly insulated, that insulating the door will make almost no difference. I don't know how heavy the insulation might be, but up and over doors are carefully counterbalanced by springs, adding weight to the door, might make it difficult to raise, and impossible to make it remain open. Why are you trying to heat a garage?

The usual 3kw fan heater will hardly make any difference to the temperature. If it is to allow you to work more comfortably at a bench, the IR heaters are more suited to that, they heat what ever the IR beam lands upon, rather than trying to warm the air itself.
Hi using the garage as a gym. The garage is part of the new build house and is not detached. The roll of insulation is very light so not make a difference.The walls are insulated for sure as I've seen insulation when attaching wall brackets.
I have a Warme panel heater surprisingly it warms the area well.

I was thinking of insulation the door to stop heat loss and also to maybe improved the heat in the room above.

The main concern is the vents in the door, can I cover them or should I leave them to allow air to circulate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back