Garage door open/close switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric garage door but the wall open/close switch was never installed.
On my previous door, you could do this with a telephone wire plugged into the remote section but it seems like that connection doesn't exist on this and looks like it might take a 1.0 or 1.5 core but I can't figure out from the Italian instructions and ENglish translation.
Manual has the wiring diagram on page 3, does anyone know how I could add a switch?
The switch it talks about in the instructions looks more like a cutoff on/off switch than an open/close switch.

http://www.google.es/url?sa=i&rct=j...uCkGSJ8WBSEL2AFA&ust=1472123904375471&cad=rjt

Sponsored Links
Yes, that is a DP isolation switch for the mains supply.

How do you open and close it if a switch was never fitted?

Is it remote only?

I usually see the switches fitted in bellwire to a bell push: a momentary PTM switch.

However, if this one operates by remote only, I suggest wall-mounting a remote switch in a convenient place.

upload_2016-8-24_14-28-24.png

It depends how it works.
You need to connect A1 and A2 for one way and B1 and B2 for the other way.

BUT if it remains switched to A1 and A2 until you operate the remote for the other way then connecting B1 and B2 at the same time will not work.

I would be concerned about safety devices, the roller door controllers I have seen have an adjustable safety cut out for different height doors to stop the door going up or down if the torque changes from a given level in order to stop a child/animal/adult being crushed or hung. The instructions are very unclear about the safety devices & I would suggest you test it using a cardboard box or such like during commissioning that it stops rising or falling when any resistance is applied in either direction.

Sponsored Links
It is remote only at the moment.
There is no infra red on this device it seems very clunky but maybe it stops automatically? Would a cardboard box provide enough force to stop it?

The issue I have is that all my remotes but 1 have run out of battery and the 1 that is charged I left somewhere that I can't remember :)
Regardless though, I still wanted a wall switch.

So, from that diagram, I cannot connect a push button switch?

I can't tell.

You could contact the manufacturer. If they don't supply one then presumably you shouldn't do it.

Can you not order some more remotes and fix one to the wall.

The instructions you linked to don't say anything about the receiver for the remote. I get the impression that the wiring diagram that EFLI shows in post #3 above would be how you would connect it if there were no remote, and that your remote receiver must connect the the motor instead of the switches shown in that circuit. It's possible that perhaps you could connect switches in parallel with the remote reciever. Can you find instructions for the remote reciever, or maybe post some photos?

I think that the bit in the dashed box is a centre-off retractive up/down switch; it's labelled "PU", and "PU" is translated as "button 10A 250V" at the bottom of the figure.

Unless they have supplied the controll switch you will need to find one.

As it is un-likely there is a effective safety stop system ( it isn't shown in the diagram ) then the manual control should be by push buttons. One up for up and one for down and the door only moves while one of them is held pushed. Or a three position 2 pole centre off toggle switch that has spring return to centre off.

This is one switch that would do the job

http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity/awts1504/switch-dpdt-20a-250vac-on-off/dp/1124168

Product Range: A Series
Contact Configuration: DPDT Double pole double throw
Switch Operation: (On)-Off-(On) (On) = on as long as toggle is held in that position
Switch Mounting: Panel ( you will need to fix it into a suitable box )
Contact Current Max: 20A
Contact Voltage AC Nom: 250V
Switch Terminals: Quick Connect ( slide on terminals )
Contact Voltage DC Nom: 30V ( MNot revelant as it is an AC circuit )

Or a bit more standard looking, MK make a 3 position, retractive grid switch on/off/on. Part number K4900.

Have had to use them for electric window openers and stuff where people have lost the original switch/no switch was supplied.

You would have to be careful with how it is connected, otherwise if the remote control was pressed then the switch pressed for the other direction, the motor would have both clockwise and anticlockwise feeds. Depending on how the motor is made it may not matter, of it could cause damage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back