Garage door open/close switch

Sponsored Links
Looking at the PDF and the report you have given, I would think some UK importer has modified the system. Although it does refer to the use of a remote control saying children should not use it, there seems to be nothing to show one being connected unless the picture of the push button control is a block diagram showing what it does rather than actually what is inside the so called push button.

I see nothing to show any clutch or overload device which would auto stop if something got in the way of the door, nor any connections for optical proximity switches to stop the door if there is anything likely to be crushed. This may have been added by the UK installer, however we have seen reports of gates which were made in the UK being installed without the anti crush safety devices, and I tested my mother Stennah stair lift with a folding last bit of rail and there was nothing to stop it crushing a child and it was not visible from top of the stairs, so it would seem there are units made and installed without the safety features.

I have seen my father-in-law close his from inside the house many times, and I never considered if there were safety devices to stop it should a child be sitting in the entrance. He should not really close it from inside the house, as he could end up with a dead cat in the garage. It would seem kits are available to convert what is shown in the circuit diagram to work with a remote
51t1xZzkcnL._AC_UL160_.jpg
the one shown is just £8 so it would be easy for an installer to add a remote control instead of push buttons.

This unit
51UeKBXjFEL.jpg
Often there is a pneumatic switch worked by a pipe at bottom of the door rather than beams of light. But it is down to the installer to ensure safety, I am sure with my father-in-laws the installer intended to remote to be used when in the car or standing outside, not from inside the house when I have phoned him to tell him they have been left open.

The installers were clearly not that good, they had to be called back to install a keyed release for the doors, there was no personal door to garage and the consumer unit is in the garage so had the power failed you could not open the door to reset the overload. Ups!

But it does seem you can buy replacement fobs and even a complete system is only £35 complete with two fobs, as to if it could be DIY installed is another question. I looked at the instructions and it seems it does not switch the neutral as shown in the diagram you have linked to.
upload_2016-8-25_2-19-51.png
The diagram shown does not match exactly with your unit, it would need some changes, I just selected a random advert to show you can buy the units to add onto a simple system. There were many others on this site I am sure one would suit your door. It is a case of selecting the one which best does what you want. With one of the options it states when you fit photocell remove this wire, so it would seem some are designed for use with safety beams. As user/installer you will know the dangers and you would not try closing from inside the house. But for user only they do all sorts which the installed does not expect.

I think the instructions are for the motor, not the controller. Is there a controller on the wall? Often an open close button on the controller, possibly on the bottom face facing the floor. Terminals usually within for remote buttons and ancillary devices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back