Light Switch - Activated When Door Is Opened

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install a sliding door onto a walk-in wardrobe. Now when the door is slid open along the gear, I'd like the wardrobe light to turn ON. The moment the door is slid back to be closed, the light to switch OFF.

Any recommendations for some sort of mains switch that can help me achieve this.

Sponsored Links
Fantastic! Is there a 'push to open' version? So that when the door hits the switch (on the other end of the sliding gear mechanism) the light will switch on?

I'm cautious about users leaving the door open all day with the light turned on which i) wastes electricity, and ii) could be a fire hazard...

Sponsored Links
I'm cautious about users leaving the door open all day with the light turned on which i) wastes electricity,
Surely whatever kind of door operated switch you have people will be able to leave the door in a "light on" position?

and ii) could be a fire hazard...
Only if you choose an inappropriate light.

walk-in wardrobe.
Why not use a PIR? That way the light will only be on when someone is in there, no matter where the door is left....

I'm cautious about users leaving the door open all day with the light turned on which i) wastes electricity,
Surely whatever kind of door operated switch you have people will be able to leave the door in a "light on" position?
with a push to break the light will come on if the door is ajar, i think he only wants it on when the door is fully open as he said in the original post "The moment the door is slid back to be closed, the light to switch OFF". I agree with your other points.

Unless the switch is mounted as follows;

[code:1]

:__________: ,

*door slides to the right and hits switch when fully opened far right*

[/code:1]

and ii) could be a fire hazard...
Only if you choose an inappropriate light.

What sort of recessed ceiling light would you recommend. Not a halogen in that case?

walk-in wardrobe.
Why not use a PIR? That way the light will only be on when someone is in there, no matter where the door is left....

Further expense of buying a PIR... But a good option nether-the-less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back