Need A Special Type of Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a 240v switch which will power a single halogen light (40w?) and works as follows:

A switch with a metal/plastic bar (around 6cm in length) which always defaults to the left (or right) position by an inner spring of some sort. When the bar is pushed to the right (or left), a current begins to flow, the moment force is no longer applied onto the bar, the bar flicks back to the default position and the circuit is broken.

Any idea where I can find one and/or what this type of switch may be called? Basically a 'toggle switch', but one that springs back to 'off'...

background: it's for a sliding wardrobe door, I don't want a push-to-break mortice switch in case the wardrobe door is left open for days at a time, and a puch-to-make switch on the far (open) side of the door may quickly break every time the door 'bashes' into it...

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you require a limit switch. RS Components will sell what you require. If nobody points you in the right direction then ill find one for you when i get home later this evening.

or you could use a lamp with a PIR pointed at the dorrway, so it sees you when you open the door and turns on. If you walk away and leave the door open it will detect you have gone and turn off after a period of your choosing.

I wonder why you want a halogen :confused:

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you require a limit switch. RS Components will sell what you require. If nobody points you in the right direction then ill find one for you when i get home later this evening.
Just had a look over RS Components and there is quite a variety of limit switches to choose from ranging in cost quite substantially. Could you advise me of a specific one which should meet my needs please GaryMo?

Also, what is the likelihood of the spring (which defaults the switch to off) being strong enough to push the door away (towards closed)?

I wonder why you want a halogen :confused:

Well this is another query I have, I need a light which wil output as little heat as possible. Obviously a halogen is the worst choice for this. Do halogen lights run the coolest? I imagine an LED's GU10 light is another option, or is this a bit OTT for a cupboard?

You can get a simple 8" strip flurescent from most DIY sheds that will do this, provide plenty of light & run very cheaply & cool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back