Garage door rain bump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,
The ground outside my garage slopes back towards the garage door a bit. When rain hits the garage door it runs down and into the garage.
Im going to replace the perished seal at the bottom of the roller door but I think I also need to create a bump on the floor to help with the problem.

I'm thinking of using mortar to make the bump but I'm wondering if I can make is small AND strong at the same time. (It won't be driven over)
I've got a couple spare bags of ready mix mortar - would this be strong enough?

Any suggestions on how to make the shape?
The garage floor is quite rough so I don't think I could make a profile mould to drag along and form the shape?
I was thinking of fixing a batten down to use as a guide to make the two slopes either side and then removing it and filling the gap to make the flat section the door seal would meet, but I'm worried removing the batten would disturb the mortar and weaken it. Is there anything I could do to make the batten more removable? Eg soak it in water first?

Any thoughts/ suggestions greatfully received!

20200629_131154.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would remove that loose fillet and do something like this - you need concrete or a strong cement/sharp sand mix.

IMG_20200630_100125175.jpg

I'd cut the cement outside a bit, so any water naturally drains away first.

You can buy a rubber bump like a mini speed hump that glues to the floor of the garage and keeps the garage dry

Thanks for the replies.
The garage is the middle one of three and I cant touch anything beyond (and including) the Kurbstone.
Using block work could work but may look too high compared to the others? Maybe some shallower edging stones (?) would work? They would certainly give a smooth surface for the new rubber to rest on.

Attachments

• 20200630_121222.jpg
    20200630_121222.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 279
Sponsored Links
A block paver is only 50mm thick. The bit on the left of my scribble is the kerb. The row of pavers sit under the shutter and you infill between the kerb and the block - the idea is to fall away from the garage a bit like the left hand one.

What cement/ concrete mix would you suggest for this? I've got a couple bags of premixed mortar that need using up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back