Basement garage flooding problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a basement garage with a Hormann door. We've had two flash floods in two years, the last one the other day resulted in about an inch of water in the garage. We were away when it happened so couldn't do anything about it.

We have a drainage channel outside the garage door but I think it just got overwhelmed by the amount of water last time. From the marks on the wall, it seemed to pool about 6 inches high outside.

Trying to find solutions to the problem. Sandbags are a possibility but I'd rather not have to put those out every time heavy rain is forecast!

I was looking at this seal that's fixed to the floor but not convinced it will solve the problem, although will obviously help.

https://www.weatherstop.co.uk/produ...Issb6aVCmL5qiObDPmxlAWXAPw0k5M5BoC1e8QAvD_BwE

Anybody ever used this?

Any other advice regards possible solutions? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
So much depends on the location of the garage - for example, if the garage is located in a "basin" with the ground and driveway sloping towards it then thats a problem.
Typically, its best to stop the water from entering the garage, and typically again ACO drains that have a definite means of safe discharge will work when they are installed just before the doorway.
Maybe you could use the Weatherstop and ACo drainage?
But 6" is minor flood level?

Thanks for the replies. A "basin" is exactly what we have - sloping driveway and to the right hand side of the garage, the garden has a slight slope towards the side wall of the garage, where there is also a side door into the garage. I recently laid some paving slabs down this side and I'm wondering whether this has resulted in it being harder for the water to drain away. We have no ACO drain down this side, only in front of the garage door.

I'm thinking maybe I should install an ACO drain down the side of the garage and also put a Weatherstop in under the garage door as further protection. Probably an easier and cheaper option than installing a pump, which I would think would be a hell of a job to now fit retrospectively.

Also, to add we've had a few hours of heavy rain this morning and the drainage has coped fine, no problems at all. I can only assume that the amount of rain we had while we were away was completely out of the ordinary and just overwhelmed the ACO drain and/or seeped in at the garage side door where there is no drainage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back