Garage doors - retractable vs sectional?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're planning on getting a new garage door and plan to automate it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the advantages/disadvantages to having a sectional vs retractable (up and over) one?

Currently we have a retractable door in a timber frame. The frame has started to deteriorate so needs replacing too.

I've had a few quotes and the first guy to come out seemed keen to sell us a sectional door from the word go. I said no because we do not want to lose any length from the garage (they are usually fitted behind the garage opening). After looking a bit more he said that the sectional door would be more cost effective because it would have it's own frame so we wouldn't need a new frame.

He then quoted for a sectional door fitted IN the door opening rather than behind it. Has anyone done/got this? all the manufacturer literature and everything else I've seen/been told says that they need to be fitted behind the opening.
He declined to quote for a new retractable door saying that it would be a lot more expensive for a door that wasn't as good, although was prepared to replace our door frame and put the old door back in.

Another company (which doesn't supply or fit sectional doors) has quoted for replacing the frame and door but it comes to £300 more than the sectional door.

OH is now keen to go for a sectional door but I'm a bit concerned about it being fitted in an unconventional way - would we get a poor finish/security etc? Are they really better?

Sponsored Links
Sectional doors are better that rigid retractable doors and it is possible to fit a sectional door between the pillars. It is also believable the sectional door comes in cheaper than a "one piece". He does sound like he knows what he's talking about and if you can afford the sectional door, you are getting a superior product.
The only disadvantage of this type of door, fitted between the pillars can be a loss in clear passage through in width. The frame needs to be thicker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back