Garage flat roof structure problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, newbe here.........
I have not long moved into a 1950's house with a flat roofed double garage that was originally detached from the house. The roof leaks in several places and water pools on the roof rather than running toward the gutter at the end opposite the main door. I was all for getting a roofer in to patch the leaks or tell me I needed a new roof but I was rather curious about some apparent alterations visible from inside, it appears the garage has been "stretched" about 1 metre forwards as the brickwork is partially unbonded and I can see daylight through the cracks (it's a 9 inch wall).
The roof support is divided by a large beam running down the centre that then joins a large beam that would have been over the original doors making a T shape, however on close inspection there appears to be no adequate brickwork supporting one end meaning it is hanging from the roof covering rather than supporting it. Is this the sort of thing a builder could address or does it need a report from a structural engineer/surveyor first ?
Lots of pictures attached that I hope show the issue

Attachments

• P1170575.JPG
    P1170575.JPG
    822.3 KB · Views: 61
  • P1170576.JPG
    P1170576.JPG
    922.8 KB · Views: 76
  • P1170577.JPG
    P1170577.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 60
  • P1170578.JPG
    P1170578.JPG
    851.9 KB · Views: 71
  • P1170579.JPG
    P1170579.JPG
    806.5 KB · Views: 57
  • P1170580.JPG
    P1170580.JPG
    921 KB · Views: 57
  • P1170581.JPG
    P1170581.JPG
    856.7 KB · Views: 75
  • P1170583.JPG
    P1170583.JPG
    891.1 KB · Views: 56
  • P1170584.JPG
    P1170584.JPG
    893.6 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
So I wonder why nobody wants to reply to my post, is it because you believe there is some implied criticism of some past trader or have I failed to explain the problem or ask a question clearly, or maybe it's a problem with new members ?

All comments welcome

If you think the beam end is inadequately supported then get a builder to have a look - it does look a bit messy from the pictures but hard to tell. If you're concerned that the roof structure is excessively deflected then you could get an engineer or surveyor to confirm that - but it should be fairly obvious - as to solutions, there's plenty of options depending on your budget - rebuild entire garage, replace with prefab, pitched roof, flat roof with correctly sized joists, strengthen existing joists, jack up and prop internally, fit some firrings and a new deck, patch up and monitor etc.

I've seen some pretty dodgy flat roofed brick garages in my time and from a safety point of view it's generally the walls that can be a danger so check for anything excessive bulging, leaning or inadequately tied in.

Sponsored Links
Hello & thank you for your replies. It's difficult to see in pictures but here are some more to illustrate the structure of the roof.
The extra part of wall is semi bonded on the outer leaf but seemingly not on the inner. To top that it seems the foundation is to narrow on the outside and its sitting a few inches over the edge of what i assume is concrete, perhaps the original drive they didn't bother to widen.
Unfortunately having just moved to the area I know of no real builders who could undertake this job and it seems a bit much to expect a roofer to deal with so that's why I was thinking the surveyor route but as you say that's probably just going to confirm what I already suspect!
Needless to say my budget is minuscule compared with what it probably needs, i.e a new garage. As we intend to only use half of it for a car I was wondering about acro-props both in the middle and outer end of that beam to both support it and jack it back into position, but it has to be safe enough for roofers to work on the roof mmmmm then there's potential snow load!! Finally I am fairly certain the main cross beam has been shaved off (from 9" to 7") as well as the front part of the central spine beam presumably to increase the available vehicle height!

Sorry it's beginning to sound like a sob story with no question, except perhaps how to go about finding a professional to do the job ?

Attachments

• P1170595.JPG
    P1170595.JPG
    901.6 KB · Views: 47
  • P1170596.JPG
    P1170596.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 45
  • P1170597.JPG
    P1170597.JPG
    846.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P1170598.JPG
    P1170598.JPG
    853.2 KB · Views: 46
  • P1170599.JPG
    P1170599.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P1170600.JPG
    P1170600.JPG
    420.9 KB · Views: 43
  • P1170601.JPG
    P1170601.JPG
    910.1 KB · Views: 41
If you have no money then just acrow as a temporary measure - it will be safe enough while you consider longer term options, as this is a DIY site you make consider undertaking some work yourself. Don't hire the acrows, buy from eBay or Facebook - going rates around £30 each (but they'll actually cost you nothing as they're easily resold). Just be wary if you want to try jacking the joists back up, propping is fine but bowed timber isn't that keen on being straightened, try a bit of turn every few days but watch for the ends lifting. A small lake on the roof isn't the end of the world once the leaks are fixed.

Many thanks cdbe that gives me some much needed encouragement. I am hoping a pro roofing co is coming to look tomorrow so I will wait and see if I need CPR! I am not complaining about what tradesmen charge, simply the cost of things today being to high.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back