Loft conversion structural engineering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
F9EFA5E4-B945-4401-B0CD-A4B51E8AB4CD.jpeg F98F12EF-335B-4458-80BD-0C81BBAC7B51.jpeg
Early days planning - will be getting a structural engineer involved for calcs and beam placements on my DIY conversion, but am perplexed about what can be done with my roof. Of course I know they will know a solution, but I always like to have an idea myself to avoid any daft suggestions from so called professionals!

To my untrained eye, if my roof was a simple gable to gable design, a beam would go from brick to brick - gable to gable to support the ridge when a side is removed for the dorma.

My roof has one gable end, then a hipped side. Basically the hip beams support the ridge beam on one end. Which leaves my mind puddled as to what will support that end of an added ridge supporting beam……

any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Hip to gable, just a very small one:D

My personal opinion though is that's a very nice house, a big box dormer on the back might ruin it's style

Hip to gable, just a very small one:D

My personal opinion though is that's a very nice house, a big box dormer on the back might ruin it's style
Not hip to gable conversion……keeping the hip. Just adding a dormer. The dormer would run from the right hand chimney (looking at the back) to the gable over the bedroom.

I do take your point about looks. A big consideration.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why is a ridge beam required?
I’ve not got the foggiest idea! I just thought it was.

it’s a classic 1920-30 roof. Rafters, purlin jobbie. I thought that when you add a dormer and cut out one side, it messes up the balance of the roof (front and back pressing against each other) so the new steel ridge beam supports the front side now the back is effectively gone.

you know how I work Woodie…. Start off clueless, get the job done and end up clueless.

I think the term professional applies strictly to being paid to do something. I do stuff myself taking far longer than a “professional”, but I care because it’s my property. Many professionals don’t care. In and out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back