ridge beam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, for our first floor extension we have decided to change a hip roof into gable end, which will give us more space to use in the loft (not habitable).

planning have given us verbal approval subject to the consultation period.

for the hip roof we were advised that the structure could be built in timber.

my question is : now that we are building a gable end, and therefore a longer ridge, would we need a steel ridge beam or would we be ok with timber?

thanks very much !!

Attachments

• 22nba gable end.jpg
    22nba gable end.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 22NBA pic 1.jpg
    22NBA pic 1.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 183
Sponsored Links
Would a steel have anything to sit on near your current ridge?

Sponsored Links
I did a similar roof in timber. Assuming your upstairs rooms are going to have flat ceilings and therefore the ceiling joints will tie the rafter feet together, then the interesting part is how you link in with the existing roof.

I used lay boards and then left the existing rafters in situ to support these. The se said that the roof couldn't be proven by modern standards but that this was a normal approach, and that by using a timber ridge beam of good size (220 by 50 I think) then some of that load on the lay boards would be supported by the cantilevered ridge.

How are you approaching building regs? You really need someone to look at the existing roof structure and design a suitable solution that your bco is also happy with.

Easiest way is to get some trusses made. They will come with the calcs for building control too. They can make valley frames to overlay your existing roof that will take the new ridge into the old roof too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back