Single Brick Garage - Exposed Roof Beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A single brick garage, the roof is supported by external floor joists (roughly 3.2mtrs in width).

The ends are exposed due to the garage being single brick.

One of the beams needed to be replaced, as the roof was leaking. It probably did not help that water could penetrate through the exposed ends.

Questions..

a) Can I cover the exposed ends of the beams?
b) If I can cover the ends, can I use Sand & Cement?
c) If Sand and Cement is not good enough, what else can I use?

A facia wont cut it, as the fascia will need to be huge...

Pictures may help..

Sponsored Links
I hope this works,

103z702.jpg

2dvmop2.jpg

The plan was to have these covered with sand and cement, however we might be able to have the felt folded over along the outside of the wall, and the fascia put onto the top of it?

Sponsored Links
Right old bodge up here!. In this spirit, the cheapest way is to cover the joist ends with"Flashbanding" or similar. Mask off the area, say 3" away from the joist ends in all directions. Use the primer within this area, stick on the flash banding, making sure top edge of it is underneath the felt. It won't look pretty. You could make a facia out of 1/2" external ply, but it will make the rest of the garage look tatty..
Mortar will not work. it will crack.
Frank

Not our garage, were the buyers of the property.

I suspect the end of the beams are coated in bitumen paint, and the new one is the beam that was recently replaced. Its an external treated beam so in its current state should last a long time.

I go like the idea of the felt and cladding, however unsure if the water will ingress behind the facia and attack the ends of the beams.

I guess, if cover it would be no worse that the beams exposed inside the garage.

If this is the wrong way, what is the best way to do it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back