Garage Floor Leveling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current project is to convert the garage into a home gym for the wife. The basic project is to build a stud wall 1/3 into the garage with the front part tool/work shed and the back part home gym.

The floor of the garage has a slope from back to front covering the front 2/3 of the floor. This means that in what will be the gym section there is a fall of around 4-5cm over 1.5m run. What is the advice and approach to level off this section of floor?

Eventually the gym section will be covered with 20mm rubber tiles so small variations will be taken up. This slope though could be a problem if I want to put a treadmill or other equipment across the slope rather than with the slope. Cause it to lean or be unstable.

Sponsored Links
Self levelling compound would do the job nicely but might give you a bit of a lip (most SLC can't be feathered very well, you end up with a 3mm end).
Or have a look at your gym equipment- that slight incline won't cause any problems with cheap lightweight exercise bikes, if the heavier items don't have jack screws at each corner I'll be amazed.
And if all else fails or you can't be bothered get a pack of beermats and shim the things
PS Have you thought about ventilation and heating in there- I'm assuming its an attached garage?
PPS Presumably you've got enough space on the front to park the car? If its a newish build (last 20 years or so) it'll be worth checking that you actually have PD rights to convert the garage.

Thanks for that. What I was thinking is using some concrete to fill in the deepest part of the gulley and then self leveller over the top. A 3mm fluctuation shouldn't be a problem. The rubber tiles should absorb that amount of variation.

Also thanks about the planning concerns. It is a newish build house with an integral garage. I won't be removing the up and over door of the garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back