Garage floor levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
Hopefully someone can help.
I'm wanting to flatten my concrete garage floor a little so i can paint it. I need it fairly good as at the moment a trolley jack gets stuck on the lumps.
It looks like someone in the past have mixed cement up on the floor as it's mainly at the front, probably about 1m wide x 3m long. The rest is fairly flat.
Hopefully the pictures show what the issue is.
Would one of those floor grinders work to level to the surrounding area? Never used one so not sure on the capabilities.
Many thanks
20210917_110706.jpg
20210917_110703.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You might be lucky and manage to use an angle grinder plus suitable disc?
The proper ones cost a lot to hire and your patch is small

You won't believe the dust it creates.

You might find a grinder for hire with a water feed?

Thanks. I was concerned about grinding too far and making things worse. I was looking at hiring a dust extractor too to keep the dust down a bit.
I don't mind hiring one if that would give the best outcome for repainting. It's a detached garage so not too worried about the dust, I'd just need to give it a good hoover after before painting.

Anyone used a floor grinder before who could advise? I may even be better gettinv someone in to do it that knows what they are doing.

Knock any raised stone and loose stuff off with a hammer, then self leveller, then paint.

Sponsored Links
Knock any raised stone and loose stuff off with a hammer, then self leveller, then paint.
Thanks woody but would that stand up to using things like trolley jacks etc? Ive read that self levelling was no good for that, which is why I was thinking the grinding route.

Always use the jack on a piece of 18mm ply or something? Not sure what’s normally used on commercial garage floors but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s harder than your average domestic conc slab

The issue with self leveller is that it can be relatively soft as a top coat - not in terms of weight but in terms of taking knocks. Paint will deal with this, but it may be possible to use floor surface hardener too.

After several years, my floor is still OK. A few very tiny dings from some dropped tools, but nothing significant, and these can be made good with a bit of car body filler if I ever feel like repainting the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back